Prevent Fires & Injuries Caused by Fireworks!
Fireworks are illegal in certain areas of California because each year serious injuries and millions of dollars in property loss occur from wildfires sparked by fireworks. Large grass crops and dry vegetation increase the threat for devastating fires throughout all of California.
Remember fireworks spark fires.
Check your local laws and ordinances to find out if fireworks are illegal where you live, or if certain “Safe and Sane” fireworks are permitted.
Know the Law
- California has zero tolerance for the sale and use of illegal fireworks. Illegal fireworks include:
- Sky rockets
- Bottle rockets
- Roman candles
- Aerial shells
- Other fireworks that explode, go into the air, or move on the ground in an uncontrollable manner
- It is illegal to sell, transport, or use fireworks that do not carry the “Safe and Sane” seal, as well as possess or use fireworks in a community where they are not permitted.
- If convicted, a violator could be fined up to $50,000, as well as be sent to jail for up to one year.
- There are nearly 300 California communities that allow “Safe and Sane” fireworks. View a list of retail booth Cities and Counties here.
- Parents are liable for any damage or injuries caused by their children using fireworks.
- Office of State Fire Marshal requires the licensing of all pyrotechnic operators, fireworks manufacturers, importer-exporters, wholesalers, retailers, and public display companies. View the Fireworks Program details .
Learn About Fireworks Safety
Fireworks Safety Tips:
- Use only State Fire Marshal approved fireworks
- Local ordinances should be verified before purchasing and/or using fireworks
- Always read directions
- Always have an adult present
- Only use fireworks outdoors
- Never use fireworks near dry grass or other flammable materials
- Light one firework at a time
- Have a bucket of water and a hose nearby
- During this drought it is recommend you use a bucket of gray/reused water to submerse your firework after its used to fully extinguish it.
Fireworks Injury Prevention Safety Tips:
- Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse
- Back up several feet immediately after lighting fireworks
- Never point or throw fireworks at another person
- Never experiment with fireworks
- Never attempt to re-light or “fix” fireworks
- Do not wear loose fitting clothing while lighting fireworks
- Never carry fireworks in your pockets
- Fireworks are not toys